Let's take the day job first. As Digital Product Manager for Oxford Dictionaries, I'm proud to announce that we have a new app available for iPhone, iPad and Android Devices - Oxford Dictionaries Quick Search.
As well as being our first free dictionary app, Oxford Dictionaries Quick Search is also notable for being the first app that we've built entirely in-house, using a small team headed up by yours truly. I even did some of the programming, but the app continues to work very reliably despite that!
Here are links to the two versions and QR Codes if you have a scanner app installed on your device:
| Apple iPhone and iPad | Android Devices |
http://oxford.ly/17XCYkD
|
http://oxford.ly/17w8zEn
|
In the children's writing realm, I'm very pleased to say that I will be getting into print for the first time this coming January. As some of you who attended the SCBWI conference already know, my short story Princess of Dirt will be featured in the debut issue of Stew, a new indie magazine for children aged 8-12. The magazine is looking great so far (you can see sample content and subscribe at stewmagazine.com) and it's amazing to see my work illustrated as a stunning double-page spread by the very talented Jayde Perkin:
The story itself is something of a departure for me, a feminist revenge fantasy set in a world where magic is boring! I hope you'll sample the magazine and read the story when Stew launches.
Do excuse me for all the self-promotion this week, but it's so nice to have something to announce, let alone two good things at once. Who needs novels, eh?
Nick.

Congratulations Nick. I use the OED all the time—I'm terrible at spelling and like to look up words I don't understand (happens a lot!) so having mobile access will be very useful.
ReplyDeleteYour feminist revenge fantasy sounds ace—classic Nick Cross! I look forward to reading it and the rest of the mag.
Double "wahey" from me and thanks for sharing your good news.
cheers Dave
Thanks, Dave. The misspelling support in the app is really good, so you should find it useful.
DeleteCelebrate every thing you get the chance to, that's what I say!!!!! Fantastic Nick, can't wait to read.
ReplyDeleteThanks, George.
DeleteMAZELTOV Nick!! Delighted for you on both counts - your CV is growing.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Miriam. It's really nice to have some stuff out there that people can actually read or download.
DeleteI'm with everyone here congratulating you on these fab achievements. By the way, "Princess of Dirt" as a MG feminist revenge fantasy novel??? I'd buy it!
ReplyDeleteIt's only 600 words at the moment, so you may be waiting a while! Small but beautifully-formed, I hope.
DeleteHoorah for success in all its forms - well done mister x
ReplyDeleteYay for success in all and every form - and well done, Nick!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! So pleased to hear of your news!
ReplyDeleteFantastic, Nick! Or do I mean Fantastic Nick?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Nick! That's fantastic news (times two!) The magazine looks great -- might buy it as a Christmas gift for the kids. And will definitely download the app! So delighted for you (and really look forward to reading the story). Kate x
ReplyDeleteBrilliant news. Well done, Nick!
ReplyDeleteChuffed & double-chuffed for you, Nick. Great news. Now about that lucky dust app....
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS Fantastic Nick!
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for your kind wishes. It's really been helpful for me to shake off the straitjacket of "proper" publishing and realise that I'm actually surrounded by creative opportunities. I've also just discovered that the app has been featured on iTunes UK, which is terrific.
ReplyDeleteI QR'd if that's the verb directly from my screen for the first time... But a SPECIAL congrats about your story in STEW - what a really brilliant looking magazine for kids. Everyone - look at the sample copy! I love the mix of stories, science and true life stuff and the illustrations are great too!
ReplyDeletePrincess of Dirt sounds brilliant! I hadn't heard of Stew but will look out for it and for your story. Congratulations Nick.
ReplyDelete